Monday, March 2, 2009

Just a follow up to Fondant fun

Well after experimenting earlier in the week with fondant and somewhat unhappy with the results, I decided to try a new recipe. This recipe came from the Food Network. The fondant was much easier to roll out, but did crack once it was applied. I would; however, try it again, but I would do a few things differently. First, it recommends that the fondant be placed in an airtight container for about 8 hours. Well, unfortunately I couldn't find one, so i wrapped it in cling wrap and covered it. Also, it said to add more confectioners sugar if it was sticky. Well if you add too much, the fondant will crack ..well at least it did for me. Another thing I would do differently, is add my color when you are supposed to add the flavor. You'll see from my pictures that this would probably be a good idea. The food coloring wears off rather quickly depending on the color. My nails though, still have some blue on them.I also made the mistake of cutting the cake into shape of the fish prior to to placing the fondant. However, afterwards and thinking about it now, I'm not sure which way is better. Then I also forgot to put some frosting on the cake prior to placing the fondant. So would I make a cake with fondant again. Yes, but really I think these cakes are made for show rather than taste (of which I should work on both). This weekend I was looking at a book that Food n' Such had gotten from her sister(s) and those cakes in there looked far more delicious than any fondant cake I've ever seen. Sorry Charm City Cakes. Here is a picture of my cake. Not too bad, but I could definitely use some more practice.

No comments: