Saturday, January 23, 2010

Plumbing 101

Well it has been a busy week of dismantling the kitchen. This week, I've was able to rip down all of the soffits and electric. Next week I will begin to rip down the existing plaster and lathe. 
But first, I need to take out the kitchen sink and temporarily remove the dishwasher. This is the job I decided to tackle today. In order to begin, I needed to turn off the hot/cold water. The hot was easy, unfortunately, the cold not so. After turning many valves in the basement, I determined that there was no direct shut off for the cold water, except for the main shut off to the house. There had been in the past, and presently are, but they have ceased to work. This poised a problem. 
So i determined where I needed shut off valves. I would need 2, one main shut off valve to make the shut off valve to the kitchen sink and one more to even begin this work and to make future work easier. So I went to the local hardware store and they helped me with everything. Problem solved. 
I went home and installed one in the basement and one under the kitchen sink. Which consequently we were given quotes of like $500.00 from Home Depot's contractors to move the shut off valves from the basement to under the sink. Outrageous! It seriously only took me about 15 minutes and cost me a total of $35.00 for all the parts. So now all I have to do is the hot.
Tomorrow is pretty busy, so I guess that leaves Monday to finish taking out the sink. I've also determined that throughout our kitchen remodel, we will be able to use our dishwasher. Major props for that. I might build a platform with wheels for it so we can move it around easier. 

No comments: